Sunday, September 18, 2011

A Glimpse in My Rear View Mirror

What does the description have to do with me? Well, very little except for the catchy play on words. I will call myself Galileo in hopes that the original doesn't mind that I'm borrowing his name. I am a business person, information technologist, medical transcriptionist, and life philosopher who hopes to make my contribution to blind individuals securing meaningful and profitable employment by sharing my journey to becoming a scopist. I'm just getting started and have no idea how this will end, so join me on this journey as we explore the unknown. Oh...and by the way...I went blind at age 6.



A little about me…?



Well, I’m somewhere between my 47th and 48th birthdays. I graduated from high school top of my class followed by a B.S. in Business with double-majors in Marketing and Management Information Systems and a minor in Computer Science. I have worked as a computer programmer, programmer analyst, project manager, program manager, and consultant - all of that in the “for profit” arena, as they say. For a period of time, while I was trying to find myself, I worked in the “not-for-profit” side of things as a front desk receptionist, program coordinator, special events coordinator, accccessibility advocate, and even a brief stent as a counselor (only this didn’t go very far, because my patience would wear thin after a while and I just wanted to shout at my client, “Get over it! Move on!”). In the more obscure department, I owned my own gift shop at one time (intended to be “for profit” but more accurately landed in the “not-for-profit” side of the spectrum), have worked as a special events coordinator and “expeditor” for my church for several years, and have just wrapped up the last year as the legal liaison for my church (“go between” between the church’s Board of Stewards and our attorney in the daily management of legal strategies and related matters) as our denomination has attempted to prevent our local church from leaving their august organization through legally binding arbitration. The last one could be a blog all its own, but so far the details are still under a confidentiality agreement while we await the arbitrators’ decision, so for now, we’ll move along.



In 2002, I married the love of my life who brought five children – ages 5, 7, 8, 9, and 10 - to the marriage over whom he had complete custody. When we married, I quit my job and stayed home and raised children and generally kept track of where everyone was and had to be at any given moment of any given day. Now, however, some 9 years later, they are rapidly hurling toward adulthood, and my husband and I are exploring the “what next” for the new season of our lives – kids in college, followed by an empty nest. Thus, about to retire from the “career” of being a stay-at-home wife and mom for the past 9 years, I embarked on my journey for the next professional pursuit of my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment