I can’t honestly say how I found medical transcription. I’m not sure if I was Googling related terms and it popped up in the search results, or perhaps I was reminded about the time some 30 years ago when my Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor offered me medical transcription or piano tuning as my two employment options upon high school graduation. It’s been two years ago when this journey began, so I don’t honestly remember. Nevertheless, I began researching medical transcription, and before I knew it I landed at the U.S. Department of Labor discussion of medical transcription as a career choice. I thought this looked pretty promising, so I started to investigate the local training options.
Since I live in Western Washington, I was familiar with Lake Washington Institute of Technology and was pleased to learn that they offered a certificate in medical transcription which could be obtained completely online. I actually attempted to contact the instructor of the program several times to ask about accessibility and the like, but I could never get anyone to return my phone calls. Finally, I spoke with someone in the admissions or customer service arenas, and they referred me to some website I can no longer remember or locate where one could find the MT training options in your state and the number of graduates they produced each year. This led me to Everett Community College which offered a very comprehensive Medical Transcription Certificate Program based on the Career Step curriculum. The program was completely online and encompassed 43-quarter hours spread across three full-time quarters and was intensely focused on medical terminology and grammar and punctuation and offered significant real-world transcription training from actual dictation files. Since I have no way of comparing the training to any other training option out there, I have no idea how it measures up in the grand scheme of things; however, I do know the program was AHDI accredited, and I personally found it interesting and challenging. I was really looking forward to my new career as a medical transcriptionist.
In March of 2011, I completed my MT program with a 3.9 GPA. It was official…I was “certified.”
No comments:
Post a Comment